Dr. Patrick Louchouarn
Vice President of Academic Affairs (TAMUG)
Associate Provost (TAMU)
Texas A&M University
1001 Texas Clipper Rd
Bld# 3029, Office 383
Galveston, TX, 77554 USA
Phone: (409) 740-4409
Fax: (409) 740-4407
Ph.D., Environmental Sciences, Université du Québec à Montréal, Canada,1997
M.Sc., Environmental Sciences, Université du Québec à Montréal, Canada,1992
B.S., Marine Biology, McGill University, Canada, 1989
Environmental Chemistry/Geochemistry, Biogeochemistry, Environmental Education.
My scholarship activities unfold in two complementary directions. On the one hand, I try to assess the impacts that environmental perturbations have on biogeochemical cycling at ecosystem interfaces (coastal margins, lakes and flooded terrestrial zones, wetlands, urban atmospheres). On the other, I seek to address issues of scientific literacy in both a general social context as well as a specific one in the development of environmental curricula.
Research Statement [PDF]
Curriculum Vitae [PDF]
Dr. Louchouarn's Google Scholar Citations
MARS 450: Marine Instrumental Analysis
CHEM 316: Quantitative Chemical Analysis
MARM: Multidisciplinary Ocean Studies
MARS 481: Senior Seminar
MARS 281: Sophomore Seminar
OCNG 251: Introduction to Oceanography
Teaching Statement [PDF]
- Matt Norwood (Ph.D. Student – Oceanography)
- Allison Myers-Pigg (Ph.D. Student – Oceanography)
- Kendra Kopp (M.Sc., Marine Resources Management)
- Annie Tamalavage (M.Sc., Oceanography)
- Amanda Stern (B.Sc., Marine Sciences)
- NASA-USDA (Carbon Cycle Science Program): Examining the relationships between land use change, wetland alteration, and carbon sequestration in the Gulf of Mexico”. (PI). 2011-2014.
- The Welch Foundation: Departmental grant to enhance undergraduate research in chemistry at Texas A&M University-Galveston. 2011-2013. (PI)
- Geological Survey of Denmark and Greenland: “Anthropogenic air pollution and environmental history of Copenhagen” (Co-PI). 2011-2013.
- Armitage, A.R., W.E. Highfield, S.D. Brody, and P. Louchouarn (2015 – In Press). The contribution of mangrove expansion to salt marsh loss in the western Gulf of Mexico. PLoS ONE.
- Myers-Pigg, A.N., P. Louchouarn, R.M.W. Amon, A. Prokushkin, K. Pierce, and A. Rubtsov (2015). Labile pyrogenic dissolved organic carbon in major Siberian Arctic rivers: Implications for wildfire-stream metabolic linkages, Geophysical Research Letters. Vol. 42, doi:10.1002/2014GL062762
- Williams, J., T. Dellapenna, G-H. Lee, and P. Louchouarn (2014). Sedimentary impacts of anthropogenic alterations on the Yeongsan Estuary, South Korea. Marine Geology. Vol. 357, 256–271.
- Kuo, L-J, C-L. Lee, C-A. Huh, J.T. Liu, J-C. Chen, and P. Louchouarn (2014). A centennial record of anthropogenic impacts and extreme weather events in southwestern Taiwan: Evidence from sedimentary molecular markers in coastal margin. Marine Pollution Bulletin. Vol. 86(1-2), 244–253.
- Brunner, C.A., S. Simpson, J. Keim, R. Hatch, K.M. Yeager, K.B. Briggs, and P. Louchouarn. (2013). Effects of oil from the Macondo Well blowout on marsh foraminifera of Mississippi and Louisiana, USA. Environmental Science & Technology. Vol. 47, 9115−9123.
- Masiello, C.A. and P. Louchouarn. (2013). Fire in the Ocean. Science. Vol. 340(6130), 287-288.
- Sánchez-García, L. J.R. de Andrés, Y. Gélinas, M.W.I. Schmidt, P. Louchouarn. (2013). Different pools of black carbon in sediments from the Gulf of Cádiz (SW Spain): method comparison and spatial distribution. Marine Chemistry. Vol. 151, 13-22.
- Norwood, M., P. Louchouarn, L.-J. Kuo, and O.R. Harvey. (2013). Characterization and biodegradation of water-soluble organic matter extracted form low-temperature charcoals. Organic Geochemistry. Vol. 55.
- Harvey, O.R., B.E Herbert, L-J. Kuo, and P. Louchouarn. (2012). Two-dimensional perturbation-based correlation infrared spectroscopy (2D-PCIS) reveals mechanisms by which biochars develop surface charge and resistance to environmental degradation. Environmental Science & Technology. Vol. 46(19), 10641-10650..
- Amon, R.M.W, A.J. Rinehart, S. Duan, P. Louchouarn, P. Raymond, R.M. Holmes, J.W. McClelland, B.J. Peterson, G. Guggenberger, A. Prokushkin, C. Stedmon, S.A.Walker. (2012). Dissolved organic matter sources in large Arctic rivers. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta. Vol. 94, 217–237.
- Louchouarn, P., L-J. Kuo, J. Brandenberger, F. Marcantonio, C. Garland, G. Gill, and V. Cullinan. (2012 – In Press). Pyrogenic inputs of anthropogenic Pb and Hg to sediments of the Hood Canal, Washington, in the 20th century: Source evidence from elemental ratios, stable Pb isotopes, and PAH signatures. Environmental Science & Technology. Vol. 46(11), 5772−5781.
- Harvey, O.R., L-J. Kuo, A.R. Zimmerman, P. Louchouarn, J.E. Amonette, B.E Herbert. (2012). An index-based approach to assessing recalcitrance and soil carbon sequestration potential of engineered black carbons (biochars). Environmental Science & Technology. Vol. 46(3), 1415−1421.
- Shakya. K.M., P. Louchouarn, and R.J. Griffin. (2011). Lignin-derived phenols in Houston aerosols: Implications for natural background sources. Environmental Science & Technology. Vol. 45(19), 8268-8275.
- Kuo, L-J, P. Louchouarn, and B.E. Herbert. (2011). Influence of combustion conditions on yields of solvent-extractable anhydrosugars and lignin phenols in chars: Implications for characterizations of biomass combustion residues. Chemosphere. Vol. 84.
- Brandenberger, J.M., P. Louchouarn, and E. Crecelius. (2011). Natural and post urbanization signatures of hypoxia in two basins of Puget Sound: Historical reconstruction of redox sensitive metals and organic matter inputs. Aquatic Geochemistry. Vol. 17(4), 645-670.
- Kuo, L-J, Louchouarn, P., B., Herbert, J. Brandenberger, T. Wade, and E. Crecelius. (2011). Combustion-derived substances in deep basins of the Puget Sound: Historical inputs from fossil fuel and biomass combustion. Environmental Pollution. Vol. 159, 983-990.
- Ishikawa, T., A. Barnston, K.A. Kastens, and P. Louchouarn. (2011). Understanding, evaluation, and use of climate forecasts by prospective policy makers: An empirical study with mixed approaches. GSA-Special Publication on Qualitative Research in Geoscience Education. (Special Paper 474). doi:10.1130/2011.2474(11).
- Louchouarn P., R. Amon, S. Duan, C. Pondell, S.M. Seward, and N. White. (2010). Analysis of lignin-derived phenols in standard reference materials and dissolved organic matter by gas chromatography/tandem mass spectrometry. Marine Chemistry. Vol. 118, 85–97.
- Walker, S.A., R.M.W. Amon, C. Stedmon, S. Duan, P. Louchouarn. (2009). The use of PARAFAC modeling to trace river water in the Canadian Archipelago. JGR-Biogeosciences. Vol. 114, G00F06, DOI:10.1029/2009JG000990.
- Louchouarn, P., L-J. Kuo, T.L. Wade, and M. Schantz. (2009). Determination of levoglucosan and its isomers in size fractions of aerosol standard reference materials. Atmospheric Environment. Vol. 43, 5630-5636.
- Schloesser, R.W., J.R. Rooker, P. Louchouarn, J.D. Neilson, and D.H. Secor. (2009). Inter-decadal variation in ambient oceanic δ13C and δ18O recorded in fish otoliths. Limnology & Oceanography. Vol. 54(5), 1665–1668.
- Sánchez-García, L., J. Ramón de-Andrés, A. Martín-Rubí, and P. Louchouarn. (2009). Diagenetic state and source signatures of humic and bulk terrigenous organic matter inputs to the inner continental shelf of the Gulf of Cádiz, (SW Spain): a biomarker study. Organic Geochemistry. Vol. 40(2), 184-194.
- Brandenberger, J., E. Crecelius, and P. Louchouarn. (2008). Historical inputs and natural recovery rates of heavy metals to the main basin of Puget Sound during the 20th century. Environmental Science & Technology Vol 42, 6786-6790.
- Kuo, L-J, B.E. Herbert, and P. Louchouarn. (2008). Can levoglucosan be used to characterize and quantify char/charcoal black carbon in environmental media? Organic Geochemistry. Vol 39, 1466-1478.
- Kuo, L-J, P. Louchouarn, and B.E. Herbert. (2008). Fate of CuO-derived lignin oxidation products during plant combustion: Application to the evaluation of charcoal inputs to soil organic matter. Organic Geochemistry. Vol 39, 1522-1536.
- Louchouarn P., S. Chillrud, S. Houel, B. Yan, D. Chaky, C. Rumpel, C. Largeau, G. Bardoux, D. Walsh, and R.F. Bopp (2007). Elemental and isotopic evidence of soot- and char-derived black carbon inputs to New York City’s atmosphere during the 20th Century. Environmental Science & Technology. Vol. 41, 82-87.
- Hammes, K., M.W.I. Schmidt, L.A. Currie, W.P. Ball, T.H. Nguyen, P. Louchouarn, and co-authors. (2007). Comparison of black carbon quantification methods using reference materials from soil, water, sediment and the atmosphere, and implications for the global carbon cycle. Global Biogeochemical Cycles. doi:10.1029/2006GB002914.
- Louchouarn, P., T. Naehr, J. Silliman, and S. Houel. (2006). Elemental, stable isotopic (δ13C), and molecular signatures of organic matter in late Pleistocene to Holocene sediments from the Peruvian margin (ODP Site 1229). In Jørgensen, B.B., D'Hondt, S.L., and Miller, D.J. (Eds.), Proceedings of the Ocean Drilling Program, Scientific Results, 201: 1-21.
- Houel S., P. Louchouarn, M. Lucotte, R. Canuel and B. Ghaleb. (2006). Translocation of soil organic matter following reservoir impoundment in boreal systems: Implications for in-situ productivity. Limnology & Oceanography. Vol. 51(3), 1497–1513.
- Benner, R., P. Louchouarn, and R. Amon. (2005). Terrigenous DOM in the Arctic Ocean and its transport to shallow and deep waters of the North Atlantic. Global Biogeochemical Cycles. Vol. 19.
- Ishikawa, T., A. Barnston, K.A. Kastens, P. Louchouarn, and C. Ropelewski. (2005). Testing the efficacy of climate forecast maps as a means of communicating with policy makers. Cartography & Geographic Information Science. Vol. 32(1), 3-16.
- Brandenberger J., P. Louchouarn, B.E. Herbert, and P. Tissot. (2004). Geochemical and hydrodynamic controls on arsenic and other trace metal cycling in a seasonally stratified US sub-tropical reservoir. Applied Geochemistry. Vol. 19, 1601-1623.